Welcome back to school! We are so thrilled to commence a new school year and welcome all of our new and returning ILS students and families back to campus! As you may imagine, though busy, things are much quieter on campus over the summer, and it is a great joy to see smiling faces, hear the return of beautiful singing and music, and experience the delightful buzz of learning happening all around us.
If you're joining us here for the first time, each month we share a new edition of "What we're reading..." here on the ILS Blog. This feature includes a variety of articles or news stories that our faculty and staff have found to be interesting, intriguing or otherwise thought-provoking. We hope you enjoy the chance to read and explore them as well!
This month, we have a variety of articles, including a look at screen time - and the encouragement to look up from our screens, ideas on nurturing a love of reading in our kids, a piece on collecting a personal library, yet another look at the importance of play, another excellent feature from Miss Marie Landskroener, our ILS Music Teacher, as well as Pastor Christopher Esget's sermon for the wedding of ILS Teachers, Mr. Shawn Barnett and Mrs. Molly (Leithart) Barnett. We hope you enjoy this selection!
We also love to hear from you! Have you read something lately that you think we, or other ILS families, may enjoy? Please leave us a note in the comments!
- Sermon: The Wedding of Molly Leithart & Shawn Barnett - Pastor Christopher Esget
- Look up from your screen - Nicholas Tampio, Aeon
- How to make your kids love reading - Jenny Anderson, Quartz
- Personal Library - David Harsanyi, National Review
- Doctor's orders: Let children just play - Melissa Healy, Los Angeles Times
- The Tragic Decline of Music Literacy (and Quality) - Jon Henschen, Intellectual Takeout
- Why Ancient Music Matters in the Church Even Today - ILS Music Teacher Marie Landskroener, CPH Music Blog